Sunday 4 February 2018

A Wargaming Necessity; The Pikeman's Progress

It's been a pretty busy few weeks since I last posted on here, In that time I have managed to make inroads in my English Civil War Sharp Practice forces. 
This is for the participation game of Sharp Practice that I am running at Deep Fried Lard in Musselburgh this June.

The scenario is set in the Scottish Borders in the immediate aftermath of the battle of Dunbar in 1650. On one side will be the victorious New Model Army and the other the Scottish Covenanters. I have a lot of ideas for the game but I'm focusing on getting troops together first, that way I can try the forces out and get some balance between them. For the moment this is what I have put together based on the ECW forces written by Ioan Davies-John in the.Too Fat Lardies Christmas Special 2017

The New Model Army forces. WIP photo of Cromwell's lads. Left to right, two groups of skirmishers, a cavalry unit, musketeers, pikemen, leaders, musketeers and dragoons; mounted and dismounted.



Dragoons with leader II and leader I 

Dismounted dragoons with leaders





The two musketeer groups, a mix of Foundry and Wargames figures.


As well as the forces I am attempting to put together some suitable terrain for the Scottish Borders the focal point of which will be a Bastle House, a typical stoutly built Border farmhouse. This is from HokaHey/Timeline Miniatures



Lastly, for the moment, some research materials. I should get plenty of inspiration from these. More to come form this project. 
pip pip


4 comments:

  1. Looking great Jim :), nice way to showcase a relatively undiscussed period of history! Look forward to seeing the rest of the forces painted up, when the madness descends into full pike and shot army's is there anyone you would like me to call....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Danny. I'd like to think that the appropriate authorities are well aware of my "condition" We should arrange to do a battlefield walk of Dunbar, Kilsyth or Phillipshaugh :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jim, the Falkirk Club has a very nice resin Bastle House which you could borrow or I can lend you mine if it would save you some work

    John Ewing

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's dashed decent of you, John, but I have a mind to tart up the MDF Bastle House I have with sir drying clay. I'll blog the results later

    ReplyDelete

Empirical Army update #1 plus a little bit extra

So I have made some progress on my Empire Army repaint; in this case six Great Swords who were originally part of a larger twelve man unit. ...