Saturday 7 July 2018

Kiss Me Hardy; Dipping My Toe In The Briney Deep

A Nautical Newbie Messing About In Boats

After my Kss Me Hardy maiden voyage at Worlard in Durham I had indulged in one of the discount packs of 1/2400 Napoleonic squadrons sold by Tumbling Dice and got myself a squadron and a set of French tricolours as mentioned in a previous blog post.
That was all well and good but none of my immediate gaming circle have similar vessels. However, as chum Danny was keen to give it a bash I painted up two each of my 3rd rates and 4th rates so we could have a trial game.

the French...or is it the Britsh...

approaching a line of latitude...or was it longtitude.... 

...anyway, we've crossed it!

a very barren island; no chance of a pint and a bit of wenching here


playing long bowls with the British



raking fire...we'll need to get the decorators in...again! 





the French 4th rate hauls down it's colours whilst the 3rd rate makes a break for a safe harbour





closely pursued by the British


the British catch up with the French 3rrd rate and put paid to any hopes 
of a glass of red and a lobster thermidore in the harbour tavern that evening

That was great fun. Looking back, we made a few mistakes, especilly with the Tacking rules but overall I think we got the gist of the game...certainly we got the spirit of it. Initially we kept it simple, leaving the Wind Change card out for instance and the Strike Test. However, we included these in the second game, which made for a much less predictable game, more enjoyable game.

Just need to get the rest of the squadron painted....then buy some blank cards.....then some more men of war....and some merchant men...and a sea mat...and all those summer and Christmas specials with the campaign rules, scenarios and squadron builders,, etc etc 

Looking forward to the day that France rules the waves as is her natural right...Vive
l'Empereur!!

pip le pip


2 comments:

  1. You never know I might be tempted to buy some ships myself at some point as your game looks a lot offun --- project 6581

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go on, you know you want too, David 😉.

    ReplyDelete

Empirical Army update #1 plus a little bit extra

So I have made some progress on my Empire Army repaint; in this case six Great Swords who were originally part of a larger twelve man unit. ...