So, a quick visit to my GP saw me packed off to the hospital and, later that day, to end their shift on a positive note, a crack NHS surgical team, did the honourable thing and granted my appendix it's wish. And that, as they say, was that.
Excepting that it wasn't. I was now faced with six weeks sick leave....oh boo.....NOT!! Six weeks sick leave/painting/terrain building/gaming....yippee!
But what to paint and where to start? Okay, it was easy enough to know where to start; crack on with what I had on the painting station already. Right!
Well no; with time on my hands, I could be more focused (Ha, right!) Even though I was on sick leave I still had priorities that I had to...erm...prioritise. Firstly, there was a Market Garden campaign to get organised for in the shape of the forces for the Breakout From The Neerpelt Bridgehead. So, after a tidy up of the paint station and a short period of general faffing about (procrastinating is another term but it's less cuddly than "faffing" but I digress) I got these lot put together
| I had already built the Cromwell a few weeks back but hadn't gotten around to painting it so it got chucked in with my other British armour. I tend to batch paint my armour hence this lot.|
I put together some crew for the M5s. For the commanders/HMG gunners I used the British Infantry strolling figure (The British Infantry of WW2 appear to have strolled into action from what I can gather from scale model manufacturers. You rarely see a dynamically posed one, do you) For the driver, I just did a head swap (These are the Warlord plastic M3s which I prefer to the Rubicon ones) and painted is uniform in British colours, reckoning that you won't really see much of him anyway. A smattering of stowage and they were ready to go.
I also prepared my first French Indian War unit for Sharp Practice.
A couple of days intense...well, fairly intense, painting achieved this result. I'm really chuffed with them.The Sherman isn't an Sherman V, rather it's an earlier model so I gave it a different squadron marking.
|Doh! In my haste to put these together I managed to put the winch bar on upside down. I added some stowage to hide my shame. Quite effective, don't you think?|
I realised, as I was putting my armoured vehicles together, that I didn't have enough stowage for them so a quick visit to Anyscale Models site and I went a wee bit overboard. Got stowage and more besides including Zeltbahn tents. I have a plan for them but I have forgotten what it was....
Next it was my FIW British infantry's turn to get some love. These miniatures from Galloping Major are bee-utiful. I have a few more to paint between now and the end of January so no huge rush for them but it's good to get a start made.
Then I gave into whimsy. I had picked up a couple of these Foundry Miniatures jesters and decided as I was painting with lots of red and yellow I would paint this fellow too. I find Foundry Miniatures almost irresistible; they are so well sculpted. I find them that irresistible that I also painted the chap below for my Lion Rampant force. I don't know where he will fit in but I'll find somewhere for him.