Wednesday 5 December 2018

Big Black Powder Birthday Bash Part the (Over)Deux


     Overdue indeed. I had hoped to update this as I went along but, in my defence, I have been a busy boy what with having to return to actual work as my sick leave has now finished, my leader not falling for my attempt to get an extension of sick leave by way of saying I was pining for my appendix....bah!

     Anyway, here, somewhat belatedly and without further ado, is what I managed to get put together for the Big Black Powder Birthday Bash!!

2nd Battalion, the Izmailovksy Guards. I am still waiting to 
hearback from GMB Designs about getting hold of the 
appropriate flags for them. 

The Astrakhan Cuirassiers. Figures are by Front Rank but the
horses are a mix from various manufacturers. When time and 
finances permit I plan on replacing most of them (the leaders
horse is by Front Rank)

Limbers with their traces painted...well, given a brown wash

Russian artillery re re-based! I realised the CD idea was a bit
daft as it meant I couldn't place the cannon side by side so I re
rebased the figures onto pieces of plasticard, added barrels and
spare cannon balls made from Miliput and hey presto!
In action photos from the BBPBB

Ditto the light cannon. Action shot from the game


As my French were appearing on the other side I decided to
make bases for their cannon. Before shot

...and after shot. Didn't have time to add spare cannon balls
and barrels

I wasn't happy with my options for command bases for my two
infantry brigades so I made some. I wanted to be able to remove
the figures for Sharp Practice so I stuck some small pieces of
magnetic sheet onto an MDF base then, rather clumsily, made
raised areas with penny sized holes in them which needed
enlarging once the Miliput had dried..Doh!!.

I also painted up a new brigade commander, Colonel Bastien
Treville. At some point I will replace these command bases with
suitable mounted officers but as they were going to be defending
a) a farm and b) a small hamlet then being dismounted made no
difference in the BBPBB.

Perry's limber sets come with figures on foot so I placed them on bases
with some Warbases ammunition caissons and horses to make a small
diorama piece to place in the Russian rear area. I can't find any pictures
of Russian Artillery Caissons with numbering on them but I figured that
they would mark differing units baggage train somewhere so I took some
numbers from a T34 decal set and added them to the caissons.

Wrecked caisson. I have still to add  decals to this.
The horse is from Warlord Games dead livestock set



I have a few of these dead cavalry horse from Front Rank and decided
to repaint and rebase this one as 
And, finally, I added some trees to the bases that originally had the cannon
mounted on them to make small copses to break up the landscape a bit




All this took me right up to the morning of the BBPBB. And how did that go, well that's for another post, dear reader...

pip pip,
The Colonel

No comments:

Post a Comment

Empirical Army update #1 plus a little bit extra

So I have made some progress on my Empire Army repaint; in this case six Great Swords who were originally part of a larger twelve man unit. ...