Thursday 22 August 2019

The Consistent Irregular



     So, lame excuses aside, here's what hobby I have managed to get done a wee while back. Well a while back we, Richie and I, came into the possession of some slightly neglected MDF buildings, a mix of Sarissa Precision and 4Ground buildings and ruins from a local wargames club; We divided our haul and I took the former buildings, a two story shop and house and four single story houses; all from Sarissa's World War Europe collection, while Richie took the latter company's ruined buildings; again WW2 themed, and right happy were we with our haul.
      After cleaning up buildings (they had been slightly affected by damp) I gave them a couple of coats of thinned down PVA glue to seal it then put it aside as I awaited a parcel from Sarissa Precision. 
     For quite a while now, since about the time I started playing In Her Majesty's Name, I have had a hankering to put together a convincing looking city-scape on the table top, especially one that included a proper street corner so I bought Sarissa's Corner Terrace House along with additional floors for it and the shop and two story house. Once they arrived and were thrown together at high speed they looked like this.....oooooohhh!
Childishly happy with this lot 

     Next up I applied a liberal coat of filler and PVA glue to the exterior of the buildings to further seal the MDF and to give them a rougher, more natural looking surface. This also made it easier to paint them as MDF is, as I am sure you know, notorious for soaking up paint. A few evenings obsessive work resulted in this. Now they aren't finished; the shop still needs a sign on the front and I am considering whether to add "glass"and curtains to the windows, drainpipes to the exterior etc. Also the single story buildings need to be finished but as I wore my enthusiasm to a halt other projects clamoured for my attention.... 


The main buildings with their finished (?) paint jobs

.....but still a way to go with the whole shebang
     ....including this large hotel building by 4Ground that I purchased at the Albanich Wargames show in Dumfries. I have made a start on it but it's a beast of a kit so I am putting it together by degrees.

.....And, finally, on the building front I have this plastic kit that I bought which is a 20mm kit but I thought it might do at a squeeze for the city-scape but it might need some work, the time for which I don't have at the moment.... 



     Following on from our first outing in Budapest with the Fortress Budapest, I have bowed to the inevitable, no not inevitable more the impossible, the unbelievable from my point of view, and bought myself a Soviet starter army with a view to building two of the Theatre selector forces from the Budapest book; one of which is the Guards Mechanised Armoured Brigade reinforced platoon which calls for at least three tanks of one type...


....which in my case will be the T34/85. Two bargain buys from eBay. Got all this lot for about £90.
  

......obviously I needed the Soviet book so that was purchased and I also indulged in some more late war Germans and a schwimwagen from Caliver Books. All of which I paid from the proceeds of selling off my FIW British infantry to a very discerning buyer.  


     I also managed to pick up some useful little vehicles for use as terrain pieces; £1 for these. The airborne jeep is in the photo for size comparison; speaking of which...



     I have been doing some painting, working on the airborne jeep and it's crew. This is needed for the ongoing, if somewhat sidelined Market Garden campaign. Yet another rabbit hole I have dived into (such a lack of self control....) has led me to add support units to my slowly growing US Airborne force. Firstly the jeep, which is one of the nicest sculpts I have seen in a while. This is required to pull my light howitzer or light anti tank gun....

     the crew of which light artillery pieces I got from Artizan Designs. The Artizan Designs US Airborne are seriously nice figures and cried out to get painted ASAP so I obliged.


     As well as the artillery crew I bought the light mortar set too.

   
       So that was that, stuff done and plenty more stuff to get done...crikes!!

General Jimbob


No comments:

Post a Comment

Empirical Army update #1 plus a little bit extra

So I have made some progress on my Empire Army repaint; in this case six Great Swords who were originally part of a larger twelve man unit. ...