Monday 7 March 2022

Taking The Fifth...Update #5 of 2022 already....

 

     Update 5 for this year and as ever I have been fairly productive so let's have a look at what I managed to get done since my last update; Update number 4 <cue removal of socks and some basic, very basic adding up and deduction>.....yeah, that's right, number 4 😁 Firstly, great news....well for me...and possibly one or two of you out there, the gaming garage is finished..ta-dah!! barring the roof insulation but hey, that's a job for next week. With plenty of storage at the back of the garage for my burgeoning terrain collection, enough room for a standard wargames table, plenty of light and a very efficient portable radiator, I must confess to being very chuffed....as well as counting myself very lucky. 

Don't be fooled, this view is foreshortened;
the gaming area is vast....very...erm...vast...ish


    And to celebrate the fact that the gaming garage is operable we had a game of Bolt Action which featured the factory buildings I finished last week....    

The table layout before battle commences, hence the
big dice bag lying dead centre of the table.

Oh the irony. All that effort and the factory served
mostly as a back drop to the action 

That ironic comment in the previous picture also
fits the bill here too


     The table looked great....which was the polar opposite of my tactics on the day. Suffice to say mine and Danny's Soviets kopped a packet and Richie ran away with the victory. No batrep for this one as it wasn't part of a campaign. Which also spares me my blushes and you my agony 😀


     Left over from the last update were this snazzy piece of terrain; the wrecked Hetzer, and the Soviet Light Howitzer, both of which are now ready for battle. I love this light howitzer, it looks fantastic and I am really impressed with the detail that 3D printing can achieve. Next up for me is how to flipping use it to best advantage in game....



     On other topics; a while back both Richie and I took the plunge and backed a kickstarter for a campaign supplement based on the battle for The Primosole Bridge, part of Operation Husky, the Allied invasion of Sicily, which is being produced by Valhalla Games. Richie has put together a British Airborne force whist I have plumped for the Fallschirmjager (amongst others but we won't go into that here). I was planning on using the Fallschirmjager force that I already have but on inspection I realised they would need work doing to them to get them up to scratch (my painting, I flatter myself, has improved since I painted those chaps waaayyyyy back in the day....but I digress). So this week I started repainting them in batches. I should have taken a before and after photo but I didn't....Doh! The centre photo of the three below gives some idea of what the pionier figures looked like before repainting. 

Officers,,NCOs, medic and some rank and file Jaeger.
A mix of Warlord Games and Artizan Designs figures.

Before repainting. Black Tree Design pioniers

After repainting; Assault Pioneers; a mix of Black
Tree Designs, Foundry and Artizan


      Lastly, in anticipation of another game of Bolt Action; this time set in Normandy I painted up the crew for this Warlord Games Sdkfz 251/2 Mortar Carrier. Needs a base and some decals and that'll be another arrow in my quiver so to speak...


     And that's that. There is much more in the pipeline including more terrain that will span gaming genres from the mean streets of Mordhiem to WW2 Germany via late medieval Europe, Bretonnians in Warlords Of Erewhon....and, ooh, other stuff...including the concluscion of the A Small Town In Germany campaign..stay tuned...or pop back..or follow the blog and get updates....

Pip pip for now,
Bob General Jim



1 comment:

  1. Your factory - yes I get it. The trick is to make it sooooo big it cannot be ignored. have a quick look at our Stalingrad game and the 5ft 6inch factory...It then becomes the foreground lol

    ReplyDelete

Empirical Army update #1 plus a little bit extra

So I have made some progress on my Empire Army repaint; in this case six Great Swords who were originally part of a larger twelve man unit. ...