Saturday 30 June 2018

Review-Anyscale Models


This post I will be looking at some of the kits and pieces produced by Anyscale Models. I first met Stuart, the CEO, workforce and tea boy at Anyscale Model, at Albanich Wargames Show 2015, in Dumfries here in bonny Scotchland where he co-erced me into buying one of his kits and a terrain piece as well as promising me that I could buy chunky, military looking wheels from him. Since then I have bought quite a few pieces from him and have never been disappointed.

Anyscale Models produce vehicles and terrain for wargaming in 15mm, 20mm and 28mm scale as well as 00 scale railway terrain in resin. Pretty much all of it is aimed at gaming in the 20th and 21st century and covers a lot of stuff you never considered for a wargames table for instance wheelie bins, washing machines and tumble driers and modern tents as well as ammo boxes, fuel cans and jerry cans, ammo boxes and crates as well as field kitchens, repair facilities and, zeltbahn tents for WW2 German forces. He also produces excellent barricades, entrenchments, pontoon bridges as well as shell craters.

Vehicles are also an interesting and unusual mix including a WW2 Japanese APC, the German amphibious Landwasserschlepper, a varied selection of Opel Blitzes with different bodies including an ambulance and fuel vehicle. For the WW2 British there's the Dorchester command truck, CMP trucks and Quad truck for towing artillery etc.

The beauty of Anyscale Models is their price with 1/56 vehicles currently costing between £6.95 and £10.95  which is brilliant. Now these aren't Rubicon detailed kits or even comparable with some of the other resin vehicles out there but what they lack in small detail they make up for in robustness. As Stuart told me, his intention is to produce vehicles and terrain the can stand up to being picked up for inspection by "the club Shrek" His other intention is to produce kits that require the minimum of construction and can be ready for the table as soon as possible whch I think he has achieved in quids; the maximum pieces I have had to put together with one of his kits is five, and that was attaching four wheels to a vehicle!!

Below are a selection of photos showing the majority of the Anyscale kits and terrain pieces I have. Hope you like them and are tempted to invest in some of Stuart's stuff, you won't be disappointed

Not Anyscale models but  I did get the wheels from Stuart to make these Dinky armoured cars look a bit more wargaming pieces and bit less like toys. I still don't know if they are 1/56 scale but they look like they are in the parish.

The German vehicles I have bought so far from Anyscale Left to Right; wrecked Opel Blitz, Opel Blitz with 20mm Flakveirling (I added Warlord's Fallschirmjager flakvierling as it was sitting doing nothing in my display cabinet), Opel Blitz and Opel Maultier. Figures are for scale purposes

Anyscale Models flakvierling; not scared of any club Shrek. Very robust and
destined to be added to a terrain piece as a bit of battlefield wreckage.

Some of the British and Commonwealth CMP Trucks. The one on the left looks taller than the one in
 the centre as it has had a base added to it. The third is the lovely detailed wrecked CMP

rear photos of the short wheel based CMP truck and wrecked CMP truck; 

Anyscale Models LVT(A)1 with added crew, MMGs and sandbags.
I'll need to revisit this and add gun shields. 

Citroen Traction with new owners

Humber Heavy Utility car and short wheel base CMP truck destined for my
DAK force. Looking forward to painting these

Terrain and stowage. Anyscale produce much more stowage. I haven't photographed
 it as it's stuck onto various vehicles and tanks

Objective markers anyone? Covered ammo crates

Jump off markers for Chain of Command and/or objective markers for Bolt Action etc

craters


two minefield marker sets. Really nice with a selection of anti tank
and anti personnel mines including the dread German schu min

Walls and gates, obvioulsy

I built these for a specific scenario and as they needed to be about 8 foot high in scale I added a
concrete base made from Milliput. Looks quite effective I think

A OO scale railway piece that I bought to go with the garage I put together for my WW2 games

rubble piles

corner rubble pile in situ

I bought Warbases workshop and made it into a local garage by
adding Anyscale models vehicle repair depot set and vehicles spares set

Command post set; very nicely detailed set

Brillaint; road side temporary graves, really clever idea. I aim to get another set
 and add Allied and German helmets to the top of the crosses

Earthwork for vehicles


So there you have it, a small selection of Anyscale Models vehicles and terrain available in 28mm. In case you hadn't gathered I love Anyscale Models stuff for it's detail, ease of build and painting and, of course, the prices which is recommendation enough without my ramblings.

That is all for the moment, pip pip,
General Jim Bob 



3 comments:

  1. I quite like ASM - particularly the wrecked Blitz. Hope fully they can expand that with some other wrecked or shot up trucks and small cars. Thanks for the review

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your welcome,Renko. Last time I spoke with Stuart he was saying he was looking at doing an open topped version of the Citreon Traction for the Maquis etc. Personally I'd like to see some wrecked civilian vehicle; cars etc and a VW Beetle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some nice pieces there, really need to give them a look! Any terrain that can survive my sausage fingers is definitely worth it ;). Particularly like your garage Jim, the internal details make it a special piece to play over

    ReplyDelete

Empirical Army update #1 plus a little bit extra

So I have made some progress on my Empire Army repaint; in this case six Great Swords who were originally part of a larger twelve man unit. ...