Sunday 29 March 2020

Bolt Action Battle Of The Bulge US Cavalry Troop Finished-ish



     I am glad to say that my Battle Of The Bulge US Cavalry Troop theatre selector is done....nearly...the core of the force is there with one or two extras to add.
     My original aim was to create on the table top a thematic force based on the US Cavalry forces in the Battle Of The Bulge and I think I have just about done that. 
     The theatre selector that I posted a while back was based on the Armoured Platoon selectors in the Tank War supplement and looked like this:
1 Command Vehicle from: M5 Stuart, M8 Scoutcar, M20 Scoutcar, Recce Jeep
2 Vehicles from: M5 Stuart, M8 Scoutcar, Recce Jeep
Plus;
0-1 Vehicle from; M10 Tank Destroyer, M8 Scott
0-4 Dismounted Cavalry squads, 0-1 Military Police Squad
0-1 Officer (First or Second)
0-1 Captain or Major
0-1 Intelligence Officer (from the Campaign Battle of the Bulge)
0-1 Medic
0-1 Forward Observer (artillery or air)
0-1 Unit Marksman*
0-2 MMG
0-2 HMG
0-2 Light Mortar
0-2 Bazooka
0-1 Medium or Heavy anti tank gun
Tow M4 Artillery Tractor, 2.5 tonne Truck, M3 Half Track
Transports; Jeep, 2.5 tonne Truck, M3 Half Track, Dodge Weapons Carrier 
 Notes. As this force is predominantly on the defensive there is no need for each infantry unit to have a dedicated transport.
* The Unit Marksman is there to replace the option of the Sniper in the usual lists. Basically he would be one of the troopers who is a really good shot and former backwoodsman. Like a sniper he would ignore the Cover and Small Unit modifiers, his rifle's range would be 30" and he would still be affected by the Long Range modifier. We have still to play test a Marksman in our games so I will get back to you on how useful he is at a later date)
      The above is based on what I have gleaned from my not too intensive studies into the US Cavalry in the ETO. My research has been based, almost completely, on Osprey Publishing's World War II US Cavalry Groups; European Theater, which is more than sufficient for my purposes.
Do I need to caption this?

     So here it is...
Troop B, 144th Squadron US Cavalry. My complete force looking very cool

Troop B Command. Lt Tug McChord (in two guises;
one on foot with the walkie talkie and the other as an
M5 Stuart commander) Intelligence officer next (to the
medic) and the medic.
The troops. enough winter figures to make 4 squads of between
5-8 men with rifles, SMGs, LMGs and BARs applying the usual
characteristics of Regular US troops

Troop support options; 2 bazooka teams, Military Police Squad,
MMG, light mortar, medium anti tank gun. Ignore the light
howitzer, that got included by accident. What should really
be there (and needs repairing) is my M5 Anti Tank Gun...Doh! 

The Armoured contingent: two Recce Jeeps, two M8 Scout
Cars and two M5 Stuarts. I will definitely add to these (I
have another M5 Stuart kit) but from the Theatre Selector
point of view I can meet my obligatory selections

Heavy Support? M10 Tank Destroyer and M8 Scott light
howitzer
Transports and TOWs: 2.5 tonne Deuce and a Half truck
and Dodge 3/4 tonne truck

Close up of my Military Police and the Dodge 3/4 truck and
why not?
      And as I sit here typing this I am realising what other stuff I need...well, want, which amounts to the same thing when it comes to wargaming; M20 Scout Car, M4 Artillery Tractor, more Jeeps, a winter HMG team etc etc. I do have another MMG teasm and four more riflemen in the post from Artizan Designs who's figures make up the bulk of the troops, the LMG teams and troop HQ figures are from Empress Miniatures. 
   
      Another thought that strikes me is that all of this is all due to Pat Smith publishing the Setting The Scene: Winter Wargaming book which has been really inspirational for us as it was never my intention to put together a winter US force nor any other winter force for that matter. But there you go, that's the power of imagery, a winter US force complete, winter Germans started and winter Soviets also in progress, the latter two being on the many back burners I have going at the moment.

     With things being as they are at the moment with the Corona Virus putting all gaming on hold, it'll be a couple of months before these chaps see battle again but by then I hope to have a mini narrative campaign thrashed out based on the events in the Losehiem Gap in Decemeber 1944. And no doubt between now and then I will add more units and vehicles and when I do you can be sure to learn alllllll about them here, in the blog that goes by the name of The Musings Of General Jimbob.

     Thanks for stopping by, till next time, here's a couple of tasty looking photos from Troop B's previous outings. Pip Pip
GJ   














No comments:

Post a Comment

Empirical Army update #1 plus a little bit extra

So I have made some progress on my Empire Army repaint; in this case six Great Swords who were originally part of a larger twelve man unit. ...