Tuesday 29 September 2020

Here Is A Passenger Announcement: The Next Train Due At Platform 1....


Passenger Announcement
     So it's about time for a wee update recording the progress on my railway terrain. Initially this is for the solo game I plan to play in an effort to fend off this damned Covid gaming drought.  As you can see the signal box and the tracks are done, well barring the last bit of track that I need to base and paint. The coal yard is just about done too, that needs some rust effect painted onto the corrugated iron fence as do the oil container and water tower.

Don't do this at home, kids, £1000 fine if you get caught playing
on the railway lines


The engine and tender also need some attention as I want to have it look like the one below but somewhat grimier.

Also I want to put together a station platform something similar to this one. My aim is to create areas of terrain that aren't just ruins or buildings hence the platform which will give similar cover as a brick wall but will look more plausible in a railway setting. That's not to say a wall would look odd but a platform adds some variety. I'll make the platform from the piece of wood that was formerly a paint stirrer.

A jolly looking spot....

A crude paint stirrer (not for my hobby paints I hasten to add, whaddya
think I am; some sort of barbarian!!) that is now surplus to requirement.

The scenario layout is as per the illustration below... 


...while I plan to have my table set up like this. Number 1 will be where the pigsties and chicken coop will be placed (railway workers have to eat too, you know): 2 the coal yard: 3 the barn/warehouse: 4 the train platform and where the two ruins are above number 3 will be where the ruined freight office will be.

I'll need to do something about the hotel roof as it looks too pristine

So these are the TT Combat buildings I bought for the scenario. left to right, front to rear, pigsties and chicken coop, shed, barn/warehouse and ruined freight office. I must admit I really like TT Combat's stuff and not just for the prices. 


Also in the pipeline are the wagons. This one I intend to convert into an abandoned flak wagon. I'm in two minds as to what to do with the actual passenger wagons as they are quite long. I might keep one and cannibalise the others.  



 
For the smaller wagon I cut one of the double sets of bogies in two to provide wheels. I then glued on some pieces of plasticard to the underside of the wagon to bring it up to the same level as the wagon. As these bogies will be out of sight I haven't been too precious about how they look. I will add some scratch built buffers though.

Lastly I have been putting some a scatter terrain together, impromptu barricades using toy cars as well as making some deciduous trees that have been stripped of their leaves. I will do some work on these as I want to add more branches and then twigs.




Other terrain bits are these HO/OO scale railway luggage sets
(15mm I think. Someone will confirm that for you if you ask
around) 

And if you are interested in the railway terrain, this is the set I have used for the track, locomotive and wagons. I picked this one up in Home Bargains here in the UK for about a tenner. And this project has used up two of them; train sets not tenners...though I suppose it has used up two of them also...



I am pondering on how I can use that green thing, the gantry bit. I
reckon I can use the trees though; a coat of black primer followed
by lashings of glue and flock might work. More on that at a later
date.

Do I need to caption this. Comment below if you need
help :oD

And that's it for the moment. More presently but for the moment please stand well back from the platform/paint stirrer edge as this train doesn't stop here but thunders through like Casey Jones and the Cannon Ball Express...toot toot!!

pip pip,
The Fat Controller

4 comments:

  1. Choo Choo:) absolutely cracking terrain Jim! Themed board for specific scenarios is a great idea!
    Get the juices flowing (you should really see a doctor) for specific games that inspires multi use terrain:)
    Can't wait until covid eases and I can make the trip south to play :)

    Keep up the blog :)

    Dannovich (northern command, atlantic fleet HQ, chief dinner lady and all round dogsbody)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Danny, I'm sure it'll see plenty of appearances on the table (stop it!!). Plenty to keep me busy but I'll be glad when it's finished so I can move onto other stuff.
      As for the flowing juices I find a folded hand towel usually answers and saves a trip to see my GP :O)

      Delete
    2. PS. A cup of tea; milk and one sugar. Oh, and a Tunnocks tea cake please, Mr Dinner Lady

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Empirical Army update #1 plus a little bit extra

So I have made some progress on my Empire Army repaint; in this case six Great Swords who were originally part of a larger twelve man unit. ...