Sunday 28 March 2021

Dealing With The Doldrums; A Moving Story...



     It's been a funny old week since my last post and not just because the clocks have gone forward an hour. No, with the decommissioning of the McCubbyhole I have been left feeling rather rudderless and am just beginning to see how much I am addicted to building and painting miniatures. I feel exactly like Linus van Pelt without his security blanket!! The time is dragging by and I am itching to get moved into our new place and to start on McCubbyhole II...talk about first world problems...
The early days of the McCubbyhole


a shell of it's former self. I managed to get a lot of
stuff in here during the day, all things considered

     With all my more or less regularly used forces away in safe storage I still have stuff in my display cabinets that been sort of neglected but now is in need of storing securely including my Judge Dredd Miniatures Game figures. The Justice Department figures below are ones that came with the starter set.    

Warlord Games/Mongoose Publishing's Judge Dredd figures. Ready
for action or not, as the case may be, as I have put them away in a
box, safe and secure, for the moment.

THE best lawmasters in my humble opinion

Mega City 1 Defence Militia; gun tottin' bad asses

    And what with being in the doldrums and with a need to fill I have been buying stuff to cheer myself up including this post-apocalyptical vehicle from Ramshackle Games. I had an idea to use it as a Justice Department patrol vehicle but I am not sure if it will fit the bill now as it doesn't have a transport capacity. Once I am in our new gaff I'll order one of his Rhebok APCs for my Mega City 1 lawmen. It should do for Zona Alfa and/or In the Emperor's Name though.


     Speaking of which I bought these figures from Foundry Miniatures for ItEN; an Empirical Absolutionist and Liquidation Squad from their Ex Citadel/Games Workshop collection. I am thinking the three figures in the middle will do for my Arbites squad (I also picked up two more shotgun totting Arbites figures from eBay); the one of the far left might do for an inquisitor and the one on the extreme right as a cultist of some description (Your clever wargamer plans all this out in advance before buying stuff whereas I go about it the wrong way; figure first then lets see what we can do with them...hopeless)



    and as if proof were needed of that back to front approach I bought these WFB Orks mostly for Warlords of Erehwon then bought Dan Mersey's Dragon Rampant rules as I have a hankering to build some old school Warhammer terrain once McCubbyhole II is in commission and up and running. I reckon that the Dragon Rampant rules will be good fun for solo gaming.



For larger skirmish games these should scratch the
fantasy battle itch


I also found some more of these Bretonnian knights in my pile
of potential 


    Whilst decommissioning the McCubbyhole I have been listening to William King's Gotrek & Felix novels on Audible and have really enjoyed them. So much so that I think they would make good back stories for games of Thud & Blunder so I decided to search the interweb to see if anyone produced stand in figures as the original sculpts cost a small fortune, somewhere between £45 and £115 on eBay!! I think these guys will fit the bill though; they are produced by MOM miniatures who are based in Spain and whose figures look fantastic. Of course I will have to get some Skaven figures to oppose Gotrek and Felix...and Chaos cultists...and vampires...and...however..

     Not quite last nor least I bought some more railway terrain from Sarissa Precision. The idea is to paint the diesel shunt in a Cold War Soviet era colour scheme so that it can be used in Zona Alfa missions. The water tower will do for WW2 onwards.


This sort of colour scheme for the diesel shunt, methinks

     And that, dear, patient readers has gotten me to this point; typing and thumb twiddling and watching my bank balance suffer...but all in a good cause..
Pip pip, 
Linus

3 comments:

  1. Happily give you a game of Dragon Rampant sometime

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definately, David, if not at the club then maybe at the War Garage...noo..Games Garage...nah...Hobby Hut...pos...anyway, either at FDWC or my gaff if you ever feel like popping through

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks - I will take you up on that offer when restictions allow. It is always good to fit in extra games over and above club nights. Be warned - the elves are coming......

    ReplyDelete

Empirical Army update #1 plus a little bit extra

So I have made some progress on my Empire Army repaint; in this case six Great Swords who were originally part of a larger twelve man unit. ...