Tuesday 28 December 2021

End Of Term...erm Year Report part 1

 


 Blimey!! Over six months without an update and sooo much has been done but not recorded! Where to start?  Well we could do worse (honestly we could, dear reader) than a photo of some scale models and a glass of single malt as a nod to the fact that I have gotten back into building scale models as part of my hobby. Other more regular hobby strands include painting even more stuff for Bolt Action and Konflikt '47. Orcs and Bretonnian knights have crossed the painting bench as we got into playing Warlords of Erehwon. I have even bought a couple of board games and lots of model aeroplanes and tanks...lots.
  
And since I have bought lots of scale model kits I think I'll start with them. 

Scale models were a big interest of mine a couple of decades ago and I have blogged about them previously see my post here. And after listening to a few podcasts on the subject of scale modelling I realised that much like wargaming; not everyone one who is a scale modeler builds and paints several kits each week to the same stunning standard as you might see in scale model magazines or on the competition tables at scale model shows. Which was a revelation and a relief, let me tell you, that I, a mere human could aspire to paint stuff that might look good, accurate and pleasing to the eye if I just screwed up my courage and gave it a bash.

So suitably encouraged and with a new found belief in my abilities I have been "supporting" my local model shop by buying kits or paints every time I am in there....with the intention of one day building and painting them, you understand. And like many a wargaming rabbit hole, this modelling rabbit hole has turned out to have many a side tunnel.  
 
 
My modest stash. Do modelers and gamers have
an unconscious desire to live in a hobby shop?

1/35 scale tanks and vehicles what I have bought 
this year; well, apart from the  Sherman which 
my wife, Gawd bless 'er, bought me for my 
birthday. How on earth did she know? 

The figures, not as many bought but only
because I already have more than a few
to build and paint

1/72 Airfix aircraft; a no brainer,,

..and more aircraft. 1/48 scale will be the
largest scale I will tackle with aircraft...

That's what I have bought so far and that's the easy, very easy part, the next step is building and painting some of these and getting them on display in James' Workshop. 
That should happen more frequently now as I have very few "urgent" projects on the bench (in fact I have one though it is a biggy or should I say tres grande! a French force for Black Powder but more anon; back to the scale model stuff), wargaming-wise. It's a very different ball game though, this scale model stuff, as these kits are for display only and demand a lot more time, planning, ability and finesse to turn out something that looks nice...and accurate....ish..

So back at the beginning of December there was a small, local model show held nearby by The Western Desert Recce Group based in Blantyre here in Scotland and I, being a newly re-enlisted member of the International Plastic Model Society joined my fellow members of the IPMS Glasgow branch in displaying finished kits; vehicles, aircraft and ships...oh, and figures, at the show. It was quite a small affair but really enjoyable nonetheless. I even bought a few things! But the best part was to spend time chatting with other modelers. 

More importantly I built, painted and displayed a couple of figures at the show; one single figure and the other a small vignette. I also took along the Airfix 54mm Napoleonic French Cuirassier that I built and painted a few years back (see the header photo).

The Vignette
 I am really chuffed with this despite it being fairly simple and...ahem..rough and ready. It just kinda came together and, I hope despite using stock figures, it tells a story............................What? You don't get it? It's supposed to tell the moment when a WW2 US infantry patrol think they have stumbled on to the enemy only to find out it's only a little pussycat carrying out it's own patrol in the ruins 😀. Like all good personal efforts it has inspired me with the desire to tackle more as it has proved to me that I can get respectable results when I try.





The original figure set.

The Single Figure
I had started painting this chap as part of a duo. The plan was to place them on a small, scenic base giving an impression of being on a mountain but by the time I had practically finished the second figure I realised the face wasn't as well executed as I had wished so he has gone into model limbo till I get a decently sculpted head to replace the current one. So I was reduced to placing this fellow on a small, resin base that I had picked up at a modelling show a couple of years ago. Doesn't look too bad though to be honest I don't think the actual figure was that great. 





The original duo.

..and the set they come from. I have had this set for
decades; definitely from when I was serving in the
Army. I really, really like the artwork on the boxes.

The Plane
This kit is a 1/72 Fokker DR.1 triplane, mount of the infamous Red Baron though I chose to paint my kit in the scheme of his lesser known young brother, Lothar, which is an option with this Revell kit. It was a fun build though I dragged my feet when it came to painting it from fear of not doing it right (listening to scale model podcasts has taught me that is a load of bollocks...Hurrah for enlightenment!!). I rushed putting it together though and messed it up slightly. However it stands as a marker. a statement of intent, if you like. I will paint more planes (especially biplanes, I really like 'em) and, hopefully...surely, I will get better; why I might even add rigging to my next one!! I would like to do a decent job of one and add some figures for scale.





I'll blog more on my modelling projects as time goes by, promise (I am talking to my future self here so please don't read this bit; it's kind of personal 😀) and will keep you updated....thgough I wouldn't recommend holding your breath in anticipation.....

pip pip for now,
Jim





No comments:

Post a Comment

Empirical Army update #1 plus a little bit extra

So I have made some progress on my Empire Army repaint; in this case six Great Swords who were originally part of a larger twelve man unit. ...