Wednesday 29 December 2021

End of Year report part 2: Bolt Action


As ever Bolt Action has taken centre stage of my painting efforts though, that being said most of what I have painted has been extras to add to forces that are all ready quite fleshed out. 

Still drawn to the Normandy Campaign and the new units and new theatre selectors in the D Day; US Sectors campaign book I have been building up a US Armoured Infantry force to reflect a lot of the options in there. All that I needed was to add was mainly transports, M3 Halftracks and jeeps in this case which was fairly easy to do. At some point I do need to add a couple of M21 Mortar Carriers to my quiver.

These are still WIP as far as I am concerned as I plan to add more stowage so that they resemble the travelling circus vehicles below




Another new unit for the US in Normandy onwards is an LMG squad which is not easy to reproduce as there aren't many .30cal in the Light role totting figures available that I could find. However I already had these late war US Infantry LMG gunners from Empress Miniatures that I was planning on selling but they got a reprieve and a repaint to make them look suitably dressed for Normandy. And I am glad I did. The sculpts I find are a bit more slender than Warlord Games and Artizan's 28mm bruisers but on the table top they blend in nicely. That small quibble aside the sculpts are absolutely top notch, the prone gunner is even in the correct fire position for someone operating an LMG (trust me, I know 😉)


Keeping with the US Infantry theme, I have also added to my Battle of the Bulge forces with the addition of some hulking Artizan bruisers. Artizan recently released a late war US Infantry Fire Teams that are very, very nice indeed...at least in my humble opinion

Also added to my bulging late war Battle of the Bulge US force are Artizan Designs newly released Military Police

These chaps now bring my MP squad up nine strong; not sure I can even have that many in the squad in game!!

 

On the opposing side I have also added more late war Germans; both commanders and Volksgrenadiers as I really like the idea of lots of Inexperienced troops with Sturmgewehr 44s and panzerfausts. I also added an extra MMG team too; can never have enough MMGs and there are opportunities to field two in a single theatre selector. This one was from Warlord Games.

L to R; Leutnant Liebkind, Hauptman Schanke and
Feldwebel Knobbersdorf


On the other opposing side I have bulked out my Soviet forces (and used up the last of the plastic figures I had in my spares box) to give me even more rifle men, another LMG crew and Commander in winter garb. Whilst looking through one of my scale modelling mags I saw an article on a T34/76 which had  a camouflage scheme painted on it. I never knew that the Soviets did such a thing and I was impressed enough to revisit my T34/76 and make an attempt at copying the one in the article. Quite pleased with the result, I must say.




Lastly I did some commission work, I kid you not. A good while back I sold the USMC force I had to Colonel Bills and the chap that bought them contacted me through Stu at Colonel Bills and asked if I would paint up some more stuff for him. I was happy to oblige and we agreed a price and date for the completion of the commission and here they are...or rather were as they have already been posted to their owner, who tells me he is more than happy and who am I to argue 😀


And that's been the sum, pretty much, of my Bolt Action painting over the last 6 months or so. I have also painted up my first Konflikt '47 kits; a Cossack Walker and T34 Zapp turret. Jolly good fun though to date we have only played one 2v2 game of K47 to date; good fun it was too


That completes the Bolt Action segment of my End of Year Report; great, wasn't it 😁

Thanks for dropping by,
Pip pip for the mo,
GJ

No comments:

Post a Comment

Empirical Army update #1 plus a little bit extra

So I have made some progress on my Empire Army repaint; in this case six Great Swords who were originally part of a larger twelve man unit. ...