Monday 14 February 2022

Update #3 As the Nun's Outfitter said "This is getting to be a habit..."


     This is indeed getting to be a habit. This update will focus mainly on new purchases as I was helping out on Colonel Bill's trade stand at the recent Vapnartak Wargames Show held at York Racecourse on 6th Feb this year. We had a very busy day however I was able to sneak away and do some shopping and I will come back to my purchases shortly. I have also made more progress with  my current projects; the ruined factory and warehouse. I'll record that separately in another post but suffice to say I managed to drum up some terrain mojo and take a few more steps toward getting them table ready.  Firstly, painting!!
"From the right...number!!" Okay, we're far to casual
for any of that parade ground drill stuff but for the
record and from left to right; Tom, Stu's son; Stu the
boss, Scotty and then myself. Beats me how anyone
comes near the stall ๐Ÿ˜„ 

     As I mentioned above I helped out Stu at Colonel Bill's at the Vapnartak Show on the Sunday but, since my missus was away visiting family in Madrid for the week it was planned between Stu and myself that my faithful canine sidekick, Otto, and I would stop over with Stu, his lovely wife, Amanda, and their faithful canine sidekick, May, so that I could help out at Colonel Bill's Depot as well as enjoying the lovely countryside around the Depot, cracking good food and plenty of beer and single malt whisky. 

Otto (l) and May (r) who both suffer from over size
cute glands; say "Aaaaaaaw!" everybody

     That took me up to Thursday when Otto and I headed back to Glasgow. Back home and with time on my hands as I was still on holiday, I took a notion to paint up some more figures to use in Inq28/Inquisimunda. I started by painting up more Adeptus Arbites. To be more specific I painted the four figures on the right as the chap with the grenade launcher and the chap with the shotgun next to him I had painted an age back. I love these Arbites figures and can't hep wishing they weren't so flipping expensive to buy. Still, it's a sellers market and I'm not desperate for them (oh yes I am!!๐Ÿ˜). The two figures to the right of the photo are by Foundry Miniatures and are from their sci fi range, they are Empirical Absolutionists and sit somewhere between the Adeptus Arbites range of figures and Judge Dredd figures, which makes them perfect for what I have in mind...whatever that is? I dunno, I am easy prey to my whims...

 

     As well as those chaps I have few of the old GW Imperial Guard Storm Troopers left that I also painted. These will probably be part of either an Inquisitorial warband or an Imperial Navy security force like those that appear in Dan Abnett's Inquisitor novel, Xenos. I replaced the sergeant's left hand with the plasma pistol years ago however I still have his original hand and I might put it back on as I think a plasma pistol might,I say might be a bit of over kill in a game of INQ28/Imquisimunda.  

      I am speaking from ignorance as I haven't played either INQ28/Inquisimunda. I can easily find out though as I recently bought these on eBay. Inquisimunda, as you can probably guess is based on Necromunda and after watching a couple of Youtube videos by a chap named Arbitor Ian I thought "I should really get this game"....like you do...or at least I do..๐Ÿ˜‰

     Another old GW purchase was this Codex; Imperial Guard as I was flushed with GW nostalgia and have a hankering for painting some of the old Cadian figures, a few of which I have in a box somewhere at home....

     

     Another painting project are these machine gunners for my various German halftracks and a crew for the GeschutzwagenH39(f) I. These should be complete by my next update...should...



     And so to Vapnartak and my bulging shopping basket: what did I treat myself to whilst at Vapnartak? Quite a bit as it turns out. It's amazing, to me anyway, how one can go to a wargames show with no plan to buy anything and come away with a s**tonne of stuff. So here is my stuff though not all of it; tufts of static grass and packs of adhesive backed magnetic sheet make for dull photos. The colourful stuff, that's what you want; right? Let's start with a handful of Napoleonic French flag sets for my 28mm Black Powder battalions....



....lots of Artizan Designs Panzer Lehr figures...will soon be able to field a platoon of these hardy veteran types....


 ....some nice resin cast terrain pieces from a small company called Urban Terrain (I think); a wrecked Hetzer and a VW Beetle......


.....from Warbases I bought one of these MDF Figaro Landers that I plan to use a terrain pice in INQ28/Inquisimunda/Judge Dredd. I will need to add lots of gubbins and things to it though as it looks a tad plain..


....for Warlords of Erehwon some Northmen Cavalry who will be painted up as Bretonnian-esque mounted squires....


....and sticking with the fantasy theme, a rather spiffing looking wood frame house from 4Ground. This will also do for Mordiem and, at a stretch, late war Prussia if I trim that strange black bit on the apex of the roof...


...continuing with the fantasy stuff, I stopped by Crooked Dice's stand and bought this fantastic looking Orc Warlord. He's a huge bruiser as you can see from below. He's already primed and ready to go, just need to fit him in to the painting schedule



...back with Black Powder my 6mm French Army got more reinforcements..


...and last but by no means least I acquired a Warhammer Fantasy Empire army. It's painted to a fairly basic standard so all I need to do is add washes and some highlights then figure out how I am going to base them. I intend to do some work on them like remove the shields from a lot of the figures and to replace the spears on units that have them with pikes as I want them to be a Renaissance themed force for either Pikeman's Lament and Pike & Shotte. I can easily build two forces for Pikeman's Lament which will be fun. There are also rules for playing Sharp Practice in this period which I would like to give a try out at some point in the future 

I am in awe......

     Stu was also good enough to arrange a game of Donnybrook for one of the evening's I was there. The skirmish was set in the period of the Monmouth Rebellion with some corkingly painted Front Rank figures from their 17th century period range. Needless to say Scotty and I, as the rebels, were runners up to Tony's goverment forces but we all had a great time, which is what it's all about.








     So that's it for this update. My next few updates will be a bit more focused on individual projects so look forward to them and some actual, recorded progress...no pressure now, Jim

Till then, 
pip pip,
Jimbob, General, nuisance 





2 comments:

  1. You are living the dream!

    I must get over at some point post retirement.

    Hope to see you at the club soon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Just a lucky swab, David. I haven't written a rulebook yet (or will I; insufficient imagination); that's living the dream :oD

    I'll tip you the wink when the gaming garage is ready, Dave. I hope to get through to Falkirk soon.

    ReplyDelete

Empirical Army update #1 plus a little bit extra

So I have made some progress on my Empire Army repaint; in this case six Great Swords who were originally part of a larger twelve man unit. ...