Sunday 29 April 2018

Buffing Up Nicely

My preparation for Deep Fried Lard on 2nd June continues. Yesterday i managed to finish off my Covenanter pike and shotte and  three of their leaders. It's take just over three weeks of chipping away to get them done but at last these chaps are finished. 
I must admit they aren't my best work as I don't think they represent Warlord's best efforts when it comes to sculpting. On the plus side they are fairly inexpensive, especially if you are intending to play larger scale battles. If I had the money to spare I would have gone for Perry Miniatures ECW figures as they cover both armies but with the wedding 5 months away I have to use such clay as I have. 
In saying hat I have ordered Perry's mounted command for the New Model Army force and the dismounted command for the Covenanters. 

Pre-basing




And, since i was on a roll and have been off work with tonsillitis these last few days I decided that building and painting wargames figures come under the heading of "relaxing" and built the Scots Lancers set from Warlord, well ten oof them at least. Again this is a kit that promises much but doesn't fulfil that promise. In the box you get three metal command figures,  a bag containing a couple of sprues with metal arms with lances, some different metal arms with pistols and three metal sprues with the Scots bonnets on them. The remainder of the kit is made up of the Pike and Shotte cavalry sprues. Again it's a fairly inexpensive kit and you can't reallly quibble with the price.
However I did have to do some sculpting with Green Stuff to fill gaps where between tthe bonnets and the heads and to disguise the back of the head where they have sculpted in the rear of the lobster pot helmet on the figures. It was no great difficlty though, just a bit time consuming.
Finally I added some sacks of loot and provisions onto their horses as the Border Lancers were well known for their habit of "collecting" other peoples possessions . I did this because the metal figures in the pack come with a lot of sculpted on equipment attached to their saddles and i wanted the whole troop to have that campaign look about them. I also added a few spare targes  to some of their equipment to finish off that Border Reiver look



So, it'll be painting these chaps next over the coming week or so. After them iit will be the commanders and the Covenanter firelock skirmishers and, then, hopefully a a game or two to give me an idea of how to set up the scennario.

pip pip for now




2 comments:

  1. Good progress Jim. The Empress ECW figures also look very pretty. Happy to give you a game sometime although I am a Sharp Practice novice

    ReplyDelete
  2. cheers David. Yeah, I have checked out a few different manufacturers but it all boils down to cost, well, that and the fact that I had bought the Pike and Shotte For King And Country starter set. Ideally I'd rather play games set in the Thirty Years War but in for a penny, in for a pound as they say. And the great thing about the ECW, from my point of view (and pobably many other UK wargamers), is that it's fairly easy to visit the battlefields. We'll definately get a game post Deep Fried Lard.

    ReplyDelete

Empirical Army update #1 plus a little bit extra

So I have made some progress on my Empire Army repaint; in this case six Great Swords who were originally part of a larger twelve man unit. ...